Monday, April 4, 2016

Ugly, Moldy, Bathroom

We are currently fixing our house so we can list it.  Being a little overly ambitious, I pried opened the walls to find some nasty surprise hidden behind it.  I'm not sure if we're lucky we found the mold or not, ignorant is bliss? I am so thankful for my dad who came to help me fix the fiasco that I've gotten myself into.  Take a look.

This is the before: 




Here's my dad who came and rescued us.  He is meticulous about his work, I am sure my sloppy work drove him crazy.



I bought this vanity to put into this bathroom. I bought this before I knew that I was suppose to buy a vanity that was 30 inches high to accommodate for the sink vessel that sat on top. The height was perfect and it was a whopping $35. I did have to fix it a little, some of the veneer peeled off.  Otherwise, this piece was still in really good condition, it's mostly solid wood.


A little chiseling, patching, sanding did the trick


I've added a thin sheet of plywood underneath the molding




 Then Paint. This used to be a sewing machine, I think it's pretty.




So the bathroom is done. Voila.  It's really pretty and fresh. I was originally going to put in cool patterned tile from home depot, but decided against spending the money.  These tiles are so pretty, I really like the cool gray color and it didn't break the bank.  I also intentionally wanted the tiles to match from wall to floor.  It was .99 cent a sq feet.

I also added trim up above, it's not crown molding but it works.  I'm not going to tell you where but I found them for $1.00 A PIECE, it was still in GREAT condition.  I LOVE reusing old material, much more economical and ergonomical.  





I really hate to part with this mirror.  I found this mirror at Goodwill for $15 and fell in love with it.  The vessel sink and faucet is from Amazon.



The only draw back to this sink is that it was a bit too wide, as you can see, it's close to the toilet, oh well, I can't win them all. 

If you look closely, I've added "ship lap" to the wall.  I got the Lowe's guy to cut me 1/4 inch planks to put on the wall.  It does need a bit of light sanding, but for $13 for a sheet of 4X8s, well worth it. 

Anyway, it's been a tedious and fun learning project.  I have learned so much from this and I have now conquered my fear of using a tile cutter; literally another tool under my belt. 

Leave me a comment on what you think, I am up for hire : )



No comments:

About me

My name is Samantha Bartlett and I am a stay at home mom with two rambunctious and adorable children, Isaiah (almost 4) and Ana Lucia (almost 2). I am married to a Bartlett and that has been an adventure in itself. My challenge in life is to Love God with all my heart and to do the best with what I am given.

About me, I love projects! It is inherent in my genes; my dad is a natural born handy man that has an instinct to see how things work; my brother is an interior designer and furniture maker and my mom is a natural craftswoman; I grew up surrounded by these things. As for me, I love anything beautiful and to recreate something new from something old. My mind is filled with endless ideas on how to make things beautiful in a thrifty way. It is important to me to make my as warm, inviting, and efficient, as possible, and I believe anyone can do this in a practical and frugal way.