Friday, February 27, 2015

My Most Recent Diy

Since I haven't had any bookings lately for a photoshoot, I am taking this opportunity to finish some of my many diy projects.  I am going to try and convince you that having a stylish home doesn't have to get expensive; in fact, I vastly prefer finding quality vintage furniture over pricey store boughts any day.  I am so grateful to my wonderful hubby for allowing me to upturn our home in the midst of my project redos.



I've been obsessing about gold anything lately.  Since I had to redo my dresser, I thought I'd spruce it up a bit by adding brackets and spray painting them gold.






This is my favorite spray paint in gold, I can only find it at Michaels. The color is called Gold Leaf






I already had this mirror, it was a Goodwill find for $5.00 each, I bought three and spray painted them.  I also updated the mantel with spring florals for a fresh look.







I recently added a photo wall to my dining area.  I decided to keep them gold and white to keep it a bit more unified.  When I choose arts and prints, I choose things that I absolutely love. I also made sure that it matched the theme on my collection.  






 Although I love straight lines for the modern touch, too much of it can be boring.  I added a little vintage to make it less uniform and more glam.




See these frames, they cost $2-3 dollars a piece.  If you get them at Michaels, be prepared to pay $30 bucks or so for them.  My good friend Joyce took a picture of Ben and I at UPBC camp; we were newly dating.  What a perfect piece for the wall!





Decorating can be expensive.  Frames alone can cost $10-$30 bucks each and wall arts can cost about $30 easily if you don't do thrifts.  What I did was, I went to pinterest, typed in free printables, go to Fedex and print them off.  The large prints costs $1.30 on cardstock and the quality is amazing.  For smaller prints, your color printer will do the job well.






It's a bit crooked, sorry about that, it's hard to take a non crooked picture!  Another one of my favorite piece. I got two midcentury dressers for $30 total, the other one is being used as Isaiah's dresser.  I sanded it down, primed it, and repainted it white.  I know you are not suppose to paint solid wood but I did because this piece was not in perfect shape and I needed to hide the patch jobs.  Still beautiful and it is up-cycled.





Check out this find! I found this coffee table on craigslist for $20.  This baby is a beast; I tested it out to make sure it's safe for the kids, there is no way this thing will move. My wonderful hubby picked it up for me after work.  Originally, I was going to use the glass for a diy pallet coffee table, but after I saw it in my living room, I absolutely love it!  The base is rod iron so I decided to paint it gold.  I bet this thing cost around $300 originally.  

To decorate the table, I went to half price books and found some wonderful large books for $2 bucks each.  I also created a mini terrarium with succulant plants that is hard to kill (if anyone can kill a hardy plant, it's me.)





Here's the original.






 I love recreating things and my projects gives me a way to channel my creative energy.  So...are you convinced?  I hope you enjoyed the post. 


No comments:

About me

My name is Samantha Bartlett and I am a stay at home mom with two rambunctious and adorable children, Isaiah (almost 4) and Ana Lucia (almost 2). I am married to a Bartlett and that has been an adventure in itself. My challenge in life is to Love God with all my heart and to do the best with what I am given.

About me, I love projects! It is inherent in my genes; my dad is a natural born handy man that has an instinct to see how things work; my brother is an interior designer and furniture maker and my mom is a natural craftswoman; I grew up surrounded by these things. As for me, I love anything beautiful and to recreate something new from something old. My mind is filled with endless ideas on how to make things beautiful in a thrifty way. It is important to me to make my as warm, inviting, and efficient, as possible, and I believe anyone can do this in a practical and frugal way.