Saturday, September 20, 2014

What's Underneath those floors? (Part I, Boy's Room)

Have you ever read, "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie?"  Well it started off like that.  If you give Samantha a project, then you will have to....yeah, you know how it goes.  Anyway, what started out as a project to redo my son's room turned out to a MUCH bigger project than I anticipated.  The only thing I intended to do was to rip out the carpet, sand down the floor, and paint over it right?  Righhhttt.



 In the very beginning, Samantha decided to redo the floors.  





I mean, understandable right?  Look at the carpet pad, it literally turned into crumbs.  This is gross, it's more than gross, it is a health problem.  Will you put your face on that?  Well, my kids did cause they like to lay on the floors and wrestle and Lucy would take naps on the floor all the time.




Do you know what's underneath your carpet?  This is what happens to the spills in your room.



This is after I pulled out all the carpet.  Btw, pulling up carpet is the easy job, it's what comes after that's the killer.  My floors were so old that the plywood looked like stained floors.


After a good sanding down.  I didn't fill in all the holes to keep it looking rustic.



Of course after I pulled up the carpet, there were huge gaps on the bottom that must be covered up.  Lucky for me, I had a lot of old baseboard in the basement that I reused after I sanded them down and repainted.  

Here is the final product after 2 coats of paint.  I've decided on a grey blue for the boy's room.  I used porch paint so I didn't poly it.  I'll let you know how it holds up.


Well, that's part one of the floors remodel.  I will post more pictures after the room after all the furniture goes back in.






















































No comments:

About me

My name is Samantha Bartlett and I am a stay at home mom with two rambunctious and adorable children, Isaiah (almost 4) and Ana Lucia (almost 2). I am married to a Bartlett and that has been an adventure in itself. My challenge in life is to Love God with all my heart and to do the best with what I am given.

About me, I love projects! It is inherent in my genes; my dad is a natural born handy man that has an instinct to see how things work; my brother is an interior designer and furniture maker and my mom is a natural craftswoman; I grew up surrounded by these things. As for me, I love anything beautiful and to recreate something new from something old. My mind is filled with endless ideas on how to make things beautiful in a thrifty way. It is important to me to make my as warm, inviting, and efficient, as possible, and I believe anyone can do this in a practical and frugal way.