Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Thrifty Treasures

Today's blog is all about finding Thrifty treasures.

For many people shopping at a thrift store can be quite frusting; first you have to overcome the smell factor when you first walk into the store (please don't think you are going to the mall).  Second, thrift stores may not be organized by size, color, and sometimes categories; in order to have successes, you have to spend time browsing and work your way through stuff.  For me, I had gotten so good at this that I would shuffle through things really quickly and effectively.  Third, some thrift stores are in close quarters and may be hard to get around; There are many stores that have opened up recently in Louisville and they are bigger and better organized.  Personally, I prefer dumpy ones because people are too intimidated to look for treasures there leaving me with better finds.  With all that said, there are tremendous finds if you can bear and grit through it all.

My personal favorite thrift store is Goodwill.  They price things in categories so I don't have to look at the cost for each item.  Goodwill tends to have lower prices because things are donated rather than consigned.  I once paid $20 for a 8x10 Pottery Barn Rug that sells for $600.  I have gotten Chico Brand strollers and high chairs for $15; a cuisinart blender, food processer, and brand new coffee maker for less than $15, each of these items would normally costs more than $100 each.  Other items I have collected over time are ; my beige sofa (its in excellent condition), tons of kids clothes (gap, gymboree, Janie and Jack), Columbia and North face jackets and coats, new athletic shoes, and many more.

Thrift stores are definitely fun places to collect things.  Some people buy collectible items while most people spend money for things their family may need.  So what is a good find and what do I normally look for at the stores?


  1. brand name clothing/accessories; Banana, Gap, Dockers, Columbia, Liz Claiborne, CK, Polo, and even Pradda(didn't trust this one)! I have gotten a Columbia and NorthFace jacket and a few other coats for $5. 
  2. household items like cuisinart coffee makers, blenders, matching lamps, picture frames, mirrors
  3. furniture, usually something that is all wood and in decent shape; drawers have to close completely and pieces that can be fixed by you.  I love pieces that are you older in styles.  Don't EVER buy lacquered furniture.   
  4. shoes, I have found many nice newish shoes at Goodwill for Lucy, Isaiah, and I.  
  5. books, I bought many great kids classics for $50c each.  We have a collection of Dr. Seuss's books, great fairy tale collections, beloved children's classic like Winnie the Pooh, bible stories, etc. 
  6. I bought most of my baby items used; baby crib, mattress, strollers, high chair, car seat, bumper, clothes, blankets, etc.  These items were still very new when I got them.  I had most of these things by the time Isaiah came along, so my friends put together money for me to get a DSLR camera (it's the best gift EVER)!
  7. thrift stores are a diyer's heaven; you can spend little money to create something unique and entirely awesome!  
One man's junk is another man's treasure so have fun shopping!  Beware, though, of what you want before you go and set a budget or else you can end up with lots of things that you may not even need at your house.  


No comments:

About me

My name is Samantha Bartlett and I am a stay at home mom with two rambunctious and adorable children, Isaiah (almost 4) and Ana Lucia (almost 2). I am married to a Bartlett and that has been an adventure in itself. My challenge in life is to Love God with all my heart and to do the best with what I am given.

About me, I love projects! It is inherent in my genes; my dad is a natural born handy man that has an instinct to see how things work; my brother is an interior designer and furniture maker and my mom is a natural craftswoman; I grew up surrounded by these things. As for me, I love anything beautiful and to recreate something new from something old. My mind is filled with endless ideas on how to make things beautiful in a thrifty way. It is important to me to make my as warm, inviting, and efficient, as possible, and I believe anyone can do this in a practical and frugal way.