Monday, June 11, 2012

Dresser Redo


So it has been a while since I blogged.  This partly has to do with how busy I am with visitors the last month or so and the other part has to do with developing my other love, photography (oh yeah, and my kids too).  If I fess up, I do wish my blog is better developed and cool looking like other blogs I read.  Anyway, it is what it is for now since learning to make a cool blog is probably number 10 on my bucket list.  I did work on more things recently, one being my dresser.  

Remember this old thing?  I decided to paint it.  


First I sanded everything down and filled in all the chips with wood fillers; it really didn't take too long and I used a really rough sanding paper

I had leftover grayish green latex paint so I used that.  I had to learn the hard way it is better to apply a really light coat first, let it dry,  then paint on additional coats.  Do it this way and you won't need a primer (trust me, I have tested it out many different ways with multiple products).





See it is so much fun buying cheap junk isn't it?  You would never do this to a new dresser!


Two things about paint; 1. Always check the return paint section at Home Depot or Lowes for brand new paint that sells for $5.00 (unless you are in my area, if so, stay away).  I have had much luck with this one and most of my house is painted with the discounted paint, remember the gray all over the house?  I got a huge bucket of that for $30 which normally cost $100; now it all makes sense huh?  Don't ignore the paint samples that you can get for $2.00 either; many time you can find a pretty color to paint over small pieces of furniture.2. I have taken the advice of others and bought a big bottle of Flotrel.  This stuff is suppose to smooth out brush strokes.  Another thing I think makes a difference is to use some good brushes like Perdue.  If I could get away with using a cheap brush, I would, but I wouldn't skimp on this one. Good brushes are your good friends so take good care of it.  After this thing is done, I can't tell you how much I love it; it is modern yet elegant.  I have learned that my current style in furniture is a modern classic look or a modern glam look and this fits the style very well.  I think this dresser is so pretty in a little girl's room.



And here is the final product





I LOVE her new room!





4 comments:

Beverly Lam said...

sam, you are SO good at decorating and remodeling! i dunno how you do it with 2 kiddos too!

Unknown said...

thanks, I lOVE it. I am glad I have interests or else I will be bored to death.

blbartlett said...

I would like to be the first to point out that my two-year-old is clearly spoiled rotten if she's sleeping on a queen sized bed every night. Which, you know, she is.

Amanda said...

Wow you are so good at remodeling. I am impressed. I hope you are doing well!

About me

My name is Samantha Bartlett and I am a stay at home mom with two rambunctious and adorable children, Isaiah (almost 4) and Ana Lucia (almost 2). I am married to a Bartlett and that has been an adventure in itself. My challenge in life is to Love God with all my heart and to do the best with what I am given.

About me, I love projects! It is inherent in my genes; my dad is a natural born handy man that has an instinct to see how things work; my brother is an interior designer and furniture maker and my mom is a natural craftswoman; I grew up surrounded by these things. As for me, I love anything beautiful and to recreate something new from something old. My mind is filled with endless ideas on how to make things beautiful in a thrifty way. It is important to me to make my as warm, inviting, and efficient, as possible, and I believe anyone can do this in a practical and frugal way.