Friday, August 8, 2014

Bathroom Remodel II

Wow, it has literally taken me two years to upgrade this blog.  I haven't done much with my house in a while so there is not much to say, except recently, I've been getting the project fever again.  It started out with me nesting and then turned into a full blown remodel rush.  Part of it is, we haven't done much in the last few years and our house was getting worse and worse.  Finally, I couldn't stand it any longer so I decided to do something about it.

I started with the bathroom since we already had the materials sitting in our basement.  I decided the nasty floor tile have to go so I asked (threatened) my husband to help me with the tiling.  We had purchased a manual tile cutter which we ended up not using because we just couldn't get it to work right so we borrowed our friend's water saw instead.  That thing is scary and intimidating so I gave that job to my husband.  I am really glad this is our first house because we get to experiment with it and not feel too bad when we mess up, and we do every single time.  Before every project I like to say to Ben, "oh, it won't take long, it will be a quick project," WRONG!  It always (100% of the time), end up being a lot more complicated than I thought.  Anyway, here it is the before and after.  Sorry about the yellow photos, this was before I got my nice point and shoot.

BEFORE = Nasty Bathroom

The Spacers were a pain to put in.  We bought the cheapie tiles but they turned out pretty nice.

Do you know what these are?  Yup, they are 2 inch blinds that I got from Goodwill for $5.00.  I took them apart and added them to the wall to make the wainscoting.


Another perk, they are so light and easy to work with.  The only thing you have to do is to fill in the slots with dry spackle.  Hint, use dry spackle instead of the wet ones and it will save you a lot of frustrations.  It is so easy to work with, just fill the hole, let it dry, lightly sand it off, then paint.  You can't easily sand off caulk the same way.


Love my nail gun, one of my favorite gifts from my hubby.


If you look really close, you can see the water stained ceiling.  Not a problem, I covered it right up with the blinds.





And for the final result.....Ta Da!!! 





You like?  No more water stain.  Btw, I also repainted.  Got a gallon of this pretty paint for $5.00 from home depot.




It's so pretty and the tile look so nice with the walls.




It's so pretty that I haven't added anything to the room, I just want to keep it nice and pretty for a while.



 The whole project was so cheap.  Here is the breakdown of the cost.
$5.00 paint
$5.00 for blinds
$30 for two box of tiles
$5.00 quarter can of white paint?
$5.00 for grout?

Since I already had most of these things, it probably only costs me $30 to do the whole thing.  The project was a really great learning experience and it was so much fun!  Happy remodeling.


No comments:

About me

My name is Samantha Bartlett and I am a stay at home mom with two rambunctious and adorable children, Isaiah (almost 4) and Ana Lucia (almost 2). I am married to a Bartlett and that has been an adventure in itself. My challenge in life is to Love God with all my heart and to do the best with what I am given.

About me, I love projects! It is inherent in my genes; my dad is a natural born handy man that has an instinct to see how things work; my brother is an interior designer and furniture maker and my mom is a natural craftswoman; I grew up surrounded by these things. As for me, I love anything beautiful and to recreate something new from something old. My mind is filled with endless ideas on how to make things beautiful in a thrifty way. It is important to me to make my as warm, inviting, and efficient, as possible, and I believe anyone can do this in a practical and frugal way.