Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Lucy's Room Redo

Let's see, there is so much going on everyday, what should I show you next? I redid Lucy's room, here is the before and after.


Before,


It had an ugly flat yellow paint on the wall and the kids loved to draw on them. I can't tell you how much I hated it.

Progression; Gray Paint and Wainscoting


I decided to add wainscoting to the walls o
f Lucy's and Isaiah's rooms. I bought the cheaper cut, 2 X 4 pieces of wood from Home Depot and they worked perfectly. Sure, there are rough spots and exposed wood here and there but I think that gives it a little character. Besides, nobody is going to care but you and maybe a few perfectionists. They were so easy to do and it gives me practice being comfortable using a miter saw and a nail gun. You can also add more decorative pieces to the wood if you like. For me, this simple wainscoting works because it suits the style of my house.

Progression; White Paint on the bottom



Now the finished room.
(I didn't take any pictures of the project after it's done so I have to show you the finished room instead)



I think wainscoting is a cheap way to add character to any room. This is a quick and easy project, it can be done in a day or on a weekend.





Earlier, I also redid Lucy's closet (Sorry no pics of the before). It had the ugly beige paint, painted metal shelves, and practically no storage. Now, here is the finished closet.
To the closet, I added a cute wallpaper that I found at Goodwill for $3.00. I bought a simple white bookshelf from walmart for $27.00 and a couple of shower curtain rods to hang up Lucy's dresses and sweaters. I also added a shelf to the top for extra guest beddings. Also, you can customize it however you want. You can put the bookshelf in the middle and use both sides to separate your hanging clothes. Use lovely baskets to organize your shelves and voila, your own built in closet.




Oh, I also took out the door and added curtains to the closet because I think it is lot more functional and takes up less space.





No comments:

About me

My name is Samantha Bartlett and I am a stay at home mom with two rambunctious and adorable children, Isaiah (almost 4) and Ana Lucia (almost 2). I am married to a Bartlett and that has been an adventure in itself. My challenge in life is to Love God with all my heart and to do the best with what I am given.

About me, I love projects! It is inherent in my genes; my dad is a natural born handy man that has an instinct to see how things work; my brother is an interior designer and furniture maker and my mom is a natural craftswoman; I grew up surrounded by these things. As for me, I love anything beautiful and to recreate something new from something old. My mind is filled with endless ideas on how to make things beautiful in a thrifty way. It is important to me to make my as warm, inviting, and efficient, as possible, and I believe anyone can do this in a practical and frugal way.